To Overcome Addictions like smoking, tobacco, alcohol and drugs
Addiction is a condition in which the person gets engaged in an activity frequently to get pleasure. It is an abnormal condition where the person uses alcohol, drugs, smoking, tobacco or any other addictive substances to relax or to escape from their physical and emotional discomfort. It poses a series of negative consequences in that person’s life by deteriorating his/her physical and mental health.
Most of the time, a person is addicted to alcohol, smoking, tobacco or drugs is to feel better or a way for escapism from his/her personal or professional troubles. A person who is addicted, feels good for a short term by indulging in these activities, but will never solve the underlying problems. Even after taking addictive his/her problems such as anxiety, loneliness, unhappy family life, studies, job etc. will still be there. Addiction poses its own risks by disrupting one’s daily life with negative consequences both emotionally and physically.
Ayurveda refers addiction as Madatya. Aggravation of one or more doshas, vata, pitta and kapha are all influenced. The common symptoms of Madatya/addiction are restlessness, dizziness, disturbed sleep, excess thirst, piercing pain in the heart, sweating & abdominal discomfort, diarrhea, fever and loss of appetite. People who are addicted to drugs and alcohol are usually confused, as their intelligence level deteriorates and they end up losing their sense of discrimination.
Here are few commonly used herbs which can be used in the treatment of Madatya/addiction:
- Take 1 inch ginger and cut them into pieces. Sprinkle little lemon juice and black salt on it and mix well. Dry it under sun till completely done. Chew 1 or 2 piece of this ginger whenever you feel like smoking or having tobacco.
- Keep a small piece of licorice (Yashtimadhu) under the cheek and suck its juice slowly and continuously for few hours. Chewing licorice roots can satisfy the oral fixation of smoking and also discourages the person from having tobacco, chewing betel leaves, consuming alcohol and smoking.
- To a glass of butter milk, add 3-4 tsp of bitter gourd juice and consume daily morning on an empty stomach. Continue doing this for about 2-3 months continuously. This helps you to curb/eliminate alcohol/smoking addiction.
- Take about 4-5 dates/khajur and deseed them. Cut into pieces and soak them in a bowl of warm water for 15-20 minutes. Rub it along with water gently and drink it. Repeat it daily for about 2-3 times regularly for few months. Consuming dates improves the addiction symptoms.
- Consume a glass or more of grape juice for every 4-5 hours to quit alcohol habit. You can also eat few grapes instead of juice too. Drinking grapes juice or eating it raw will overcome the desire of alcohol.
- Have regularly apples. Apples strengthen heart and brain eliminating toxins from the body and reduce the desire to consume alcohol.
- Soak few raisins in water for 3-4 hours. Eat this every morning and evening. Gradually the desire to consume alcohol resides.
Recommended diet and lifestyle:
- Ayurveda recommend people suffering from addiction to take fresh and natural vegetarian foods.
- Have healthy and balanced diet. Drink lot of warm water in the day time.
- Avoid eating refined white flour, meat, sugar etc.
- Include lots of fresh fruit juices in the diet to control the carving of consuming alcohol.
- Indulge in activities such as walking, being with good friends, listening to soft music, relaxing and other entertainment so that mind and soul are uplifted and the person feel happy.
- Practicing YOGA and meditation keeps the mind and body stress free and healthy.
- Ginger has anti-addictive, anti-inflammatory, ant-oxidative, anti-nociceptive properties in them. Ginger helps in producing perspiration which can help in shedding toxins generated from smoking. Ginger also has sulphur content in excess. This mixes with saliva and enters the blood and thus helps to get rid of the addiction.
- Licorice is been traditionally used to soothe lung infections caused by asthma, bronchitis etc. Do not use licorice for more than 4-6weeks continuously as high dosage for this herb can cause high blood pressure, edema or potassium depletion. Avoid using the herb if you are diabetic, high blood pressure, weakness in the liver etc. Do consult an Ayurveda physician before usage of the herb.
- Bitter gourd juice has the capacity to repair the damaged liver cells caused due to excess alcohol intake. It is also a best medicine for people who smoke. Bitter gourd juice helps to cleanse the body by removing the toxins. Bitter gourd leaves juice are also a good tonic to induce alcohol addiction.
- Grapes contain active and purest form of alcohol making agent and hence makes a good alternative for alcoholics. Grapes in the form of raw or juice are an ideal treatment to induce alcohol addiction.
The information & Remedies provided on the website is for informational purpose only and has to be approved by your doctor before proceeding for self-medication. Any remedies and its benefits and uses given are believed to be accurate, however, should not be relied on in any way in making a decision whether to treat any common ailments you or your family members may suffer without consulting a certified Ayurvedic practitioner or Doctor.
Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the article and leave a comment below. Also do share the Articles with your friends and family on your social media networks.