Headache refers to the pain in and around head and neck area. It is caused due to stress, lack of sleep, insomnia, over work, weak eye sight, listening to loud sound/music, studying in improper light, high blood pressure, constipation, flatulence etc. Headache may be accompanied with watering of the eyes, bleeding from the nose or giddiness depending on the body energy that is aggravated.
As per Ayurveda, vitiation of tri-dosha (vata-pitta-kapha) causes headache. Chronic headache could be indicative of an underlying ailment. Ayurveda considers headache to be caused because of a sensitive nervous system and impaired digestion. Improper diet and lifestyle aggravates Pitta and this in turn impairs digestion, which leads to Ama (digestive impurities). This Ama gets stored in the mind channels and thus causes headache.
Here are few simple home remedies which are beneficial to cure headaches:
- Pound 12 grams of henna leaves with ½ teaspoon till oil and 1.97 grams of rala (Sala/canon ball tree) to make a paste. Apply this on forehead and slowly headache will reduce.
- In case of burning sensation of head, apply sandalwood paste on forehead. It gives a cooling effect and quick relief.
- Get few Arka sticks (ekka/giant milk-weed) about 3-4 inch and dry it. Now take these dried sticks and burn the edges. Inhale the smoke for 3-4 minutes and the headache will reduce immediately.
- Apply datura seed oil* on the fore head to get relief from headache immediately.
- Take 2-3 tsp cinnamon powder and add water to make paste. Mix well and apply on the forehead to get quick relief from headache.
- Take 2-3 lemon and cut them. Squeeze out the juice and keep aside the rind (outer covering). Chop the lemon rind and grind it to paste. Apply this on forehead to get relief from headache.
- To a glass of watermelon juice, add 1 tsp sugar candy and drink to get relief from headache caused due to excess heat.
- If you are suffering from chronic headache then, to a glass of warm water, add a tsp of honey and drink early in the morning on an empty stomach.
In a vessel add cleaned rice and mix Arka dughda till rice is completely soaked. Keep the vessel in a clean and dry place for few days till it is dried up (in summer it will take 7-8 days to dry). Repeat this for 3 times. Now, pound these dried rice adding about 0.65 grams of camphor till you get a fine powder. Store it in a glass jar. This is called as Arka dughda nasya. This can be used in any kind of headaches.
- Take few pinch of arka dughda nasya powder and blow it into the nose. After some time, you start sneezing continuously with runny nose. Since nose is the gateway of the head, the therapy is highly effective in curing a number of diseases pertaining to head. The therapy is beneficial if done on a regular basis, because it keeps the eyes, ears and nose healthy.
Headache due to cold:
- Get few ripened leaves of karavira (kanagale/indian oleander) and dry them under sun and pound it to make choorna. Sieve this and store in an air tight container. Whenever there is headache due to cold, take few pinch of this powder and blow it into the nose. After some time, you start sneezing continuously with runny nose and the headache will reduce.
Cold and sneezing are interconnected. You can observe that when sneezing increases, cold reduces gradually. Sneezing is nothing but a wonderful way by which our body gets rid of the unwanted particles from inside and helps to cure headache. In India, people use tobacco and other such items to get sneeze.
Cold and headaches will reduce faster if nasya (sniffing) from drumstick seeds are used. When drumsticks are available in plenty, prepare this at home and store it to use for headaches
- Get lots of drumsticks and remove its seeds. Now slowly take out the dal from inside the seeds. Collect all the dal from the seeds to a bowl. To this add 60 grams of saindhava lavana, 12 grams mustards and 28 grams goat urine. Pound this using a mortar pestle to get a fine paste. You need to pound till the goat urine is completely absorbed. This will take some time. Spread the paste on a plate and dry it under shade. Grind the dried paste to powder and store it in a glass jar/bottle.
When you are affected from cold, take little of this prepared powder and inhale into your nostrils to get sneezing. When you start to sneeze, slowly headache will reduce.
Datura Seed Oil: This seed oil has to be used in very small quantity. Else, swelling and a disease called ‘beriberi’ can happen. Before purchasing datura seed oil, have a purity check as below:
- Add 5-10 cc of datura Seed oil in a glass tube along with the same quantity of nitric acid and shake well. If there is no orange color, it is pure one and can use it.
This purity check has to be done because there can be a mix of mustard oil in datura seed oil.
Along with the remedies mentioned above, here are few diet and lifestyle advice which needs to be followed to stay away from cold and headaches often.
- Avoid refined flour, excess oil and spicy, cold and stale foods.
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Chose foods which are warm, light and easily digestible. Home cooked foods are highly recommended. Try having soups like oats soup, carrot soup, fresh juices etc.
- Avoid eating curd at night.
- Include herbs like cinnamon, garlic, jeera/cumin seeds etc. in your daily diet.
- Drink enough water or butter milk in the day time to keep yourself well hydrated. Avoid having coffee and tea.
- Avoid working for long hours continuously. Take small breaks in between. Go out for a walk to get some fresh air and sunshine.
- Have a good sleep at night in a dark room without mobiles and other accessories near you.
- Avoid over exposure to cold or hot weathers.
- Cover your head with an umbrella/hat whenever you go out to avoid excess sunlight.
- Abhyanga-oil massage is recommended daily before bathing. you can use coconut oil or any Ayurveda herbal oil to massage your body and head.
- Practice YOGA and meditation for a healthy and stress free life.
The information & Remedies provided on the website is for informational purpose only and has to be approved by your doctor before proceeding for self-medication. Any remedies and its benefits and uses given are believed to be accurate, however, should not be relied on in any way in making a decision whether to treat any common ailments you or your family members may suffer without consulting a certified Ayurvedic practitioner or Doctor.
Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the article and leave a comment below. Also do share the Articles with your friends and family on your social media networks.