Acne is a skin condition in which there will be a secretion of oily or waxy matter (sebum) in the pores of the skin and gets trapped there. This causes the skin to breakouts. This condition is normally seen during puberty stage. It is most likely painful to touch. So any breakout on the skin is acne.
Pimples are red bumps on the face with a white core. Pimple is also a form of acne. Pimples are generally milder and not painful unless it is severe. The reason for both skin condition Acne and pimples are clogged pores.
Acne is termed as ‘Yauvanapidika’ in Ayurveda. Imbalance of all three dosha especially pitta dosha causes Acne/Pimples. Acne presents either as blackheads, whiteheads, pimples or nodules. Acne/Pimples usually affect the face, back and shoulders and areas where there is excess secretion of sebum.
Acne and Pimples are formed more likely on oily skin type where the secretion of sebum is in excess.
There are various chemical creams and medicines available to us in the market to cure pimples and acne. But treating them naturally using herbs at home is more safe and effective and are free from side effects.
Here are few herbal home remedies to cure pimples and acne;
- Take equal proportion of rose water and lemon Mix well and apply on the face and neck where there are pimples and leave it for 30minutes. Continue this daily for 3-4weeks to get good results.
- Mix little cinnamon powder with honey and make paste. Apply on the face and leave it overnight. Next morning wash the face with clean water. Continue this for few weeks.
You can also mix cinnamon powder in lemon juice and then apply on skin.
- Mix equal quantity of lemon juice, ground nut oil and sandalwood powder (opt) and apply the paste on the affected skin part. Wash it off after 10-15minutes. This also prevents blackheads.
- Mix turmeric and coriander leaves juice together and apply on the face.
- Get few fresh neem leaves and pound them to fine paste. Add turmeric and water and mix well. Apply this paste on the face and leave it for 20-30minutes. this helps to cure pimple fast and effectively.
- Appling freshly extracted juice of mint leaves/pudhina on the pimples is a natural home remedy. This gives you fast results.
- Mix Aloe Vera gel with little turmeric and apply on face leaving it overnight. Wash off the face in the morning to get relief from pimples and acne and stains.
- Bottle gourd/lauki juice is very effective in preventing pimples. Wash bottle gourd and chop them into pieces. Extract juice from it and consume it on a regular basis. You can add a pinch salt to the extracted juice if you wish. Bottle gourd is a vegetable with high water content which helps to keep the skin healthy and body cool which in turn prevents pimples
- Make a paste from papaya and apply on clean face. Leave it for 15-20 minutes and later wash it with plain water. Papaya is a good Ayurveda remedy to cure pimple & acne.
- Pound few fresh fenugreek leaves with water and make paste. Apply on the acne and leave it overnight and then wash away with warm water in the morning. This will not only prevent acne but blackheads too.
- Add pinch turmeric to fresh coriander leaves juice and apply. This is very effective home remedy for acne. It should be applied at night after washing the face thoroughly. It must be kept overnight. The same can be taken internally twice a day.
- Mix 1-2tsp Amla powder with water and drink daily morning and evening.
- Lemon juice applied regularly on acne reduces it effectively.
- Garlic contains allicin, which is a natural antibiotic. Eat 2-3 cloves of raw garlic once a day regularly for a month. This helps to cleanse the blood from all its impurities and thus reduces and prevents acne problems. For sensitive skin, mix curd in the garlic paste before applying.
- Grate cucumber and apply on the face and leave it for 15-20minutes. Wash it off with clean normal water. This is a good home remedy for acne.
- In a glass of hot water, add 1 tsp triphala choorna and mix well. Drink this early morning everyday on an empty stomach. Triphala balances tridosha (vata, pitta and kapha) and detoxifies whole body and fights against bacteria.
- Take a potato and wash it properly. Cut into thin slices and gently rub it all over your face and massage. It helps to treat acne by fighting bacteria and gives a glowing skin.
Recommended diet & lifestyle:
- Avoid spicy, oily and sour foods. Eat fresh and unprocessed food.
- Avoid coffee/alcohol instead drink herbal tea which pacify pitta.
- Drink lots of water to keep yourself well hydrated. You can have lots of buttermilk and include simple raita like cucumber raita, onion raita, onion tomato raita.
- Keep your face clean and always dirt and oil free. Avoid irritant cosmetics.
- Wash your face frequently with mild herbal soaps. Pat dry your face with soft towel and do not rub.
- Do not touch/squeeze and scratch acne/pimples.
- Use cooling herbs such as coriander, Amla, fennel etc.
- Make sure you wash your face with plain water before going to bed to remove makeup.
- Good sleep is also very important and avoid staying awake at night.
- Avoid excess sun exposure and reduce stress.
- Practice Yoga and meditation to keep yourself stress free and healthy.
- Turmeric: one of the widely used Ayurveda herb/spice used all over the world. It treats skin, heart, liver, lungs etc. and used for bleeding disorders, skin diseases, epilepsy, to expel kapha and to purify body. Turmeric regulates female reproductive system, purifies uterus and breast milk and also builds & purifies semen in men too read more..
- Neem: one of the bitter herbs in Ayurveda which are used extensively in medicines. Neem is also known as margosa, the herb cools body because it has sheeta guna/quality. Neem is effective in relieving cough, fever, tiredness, improves digesting, heals wounds quickly, relieves from vomiting and nausea, useful in skin diseases and also helpful for diabetics.
- Mint leaves: also known as pudhina, they are fresh, aromatic Ayurveda herb which is dark green in color. It is effective in digestion, treats respiratory disorders and pacifies all tridosha. Mint leaves soothe digestive tract and cleanse stomach. Lowers blood pressure, stress, boosts immunity, alleviates pain and improves skin health.
- Aloe Vera: known as kumari or ghrita kumara in Ayurveda is widely used herb used in the treatment of skin disorders, constipation, bleeding disorders, wound healing etc. Aloe vera contains transparent gel which in 96% water and the rest 4% contains vitamin A, B, C, E, calcium, and amino acids. It has antibacterial and antifungal properties which soothes many skin ailments and increases blood flow to the wounded area and helps in healing.
- Fenugreek: known as methi is an important herb as it is used as both medicine and spice all over the world. Its stem, leaves, seeds and twigs are all used as it is rich in nutritional and medicinal properties. Methi is used for conditions like fever, diabetes, cough, bronchitis, burns, swellings, ulcers, digestive issues etc.
- Papaya: known as “Erandkarkati” in Ayurveda is rich in vitamin A, B, C, sodium and potassium. Papaya balances tridosha (vata, pitta and kapha). Its fruit, seeds and leaves are all extensively used in the treatment of skin disorders, piles, bleeding disorders, constipation, insect bites etc.
- Amla: also known as Amlakai is used since 1000years in Ayurveda medicine. Amla is sour tasting fruit which pacifies all tri doshas (vata, pitta and kapha). It rejuvenates the body and enhances immunity and youthfulness. It promotes energy, reproductive health, supports metabolism, digesting and elimination. Amla is one of the three fruit used in triphala choorna.
- Triphala: Triphala is an ayurvedic herbal powder which is a combination of three Ayurveda fruits Amlakai, bhibhitaki and haritaki. It is an herbal rasayana consisting of equal amounts of all these three ingredients. Triphala is loaded with antioxidants, vitamin c and also balances blood sugar. Triphala include all five different tastes-sweet, sour, salty, bitter and pungent. It also helps to balance tridosha-vata, pitta and kapha.
- Lemon: a medicinal rich fruit in Ayurveda with sour, light and dry qualities. Also known as nimbaka, nimbe, cherunarakam, pahari nimbu etc. It is used as a food and medicine all over the world. Lemon treats digestion related problems, improves tastes, freshens mouth, encourages saliva secretion in the mouth and acts as a cleansing agent. Lemons promote fluid secretion in lungs and blood plasma. As lemon is sour in taste it will have a tingling sensation in tongue. Lemon relieves thirst and most preferred drink to quench thirst.
- Cinnamon: one of the oldest spices used in Ayurveda medicine to enhance the functioning of other herbs. Cinnamon is very flavorful, aromatic, sweet and pungent. It pacifies (alleviates) vata and kapha and aggravates (increases) pitta. Cinnamon is used in the treatment originated due to vata like paralysis, nerve weakness etc. it can also be used in the treatment of lungs, tuberculosis, diabetes, cough, chest congestion etc. As cinnamon alleviates kapha, it can be used as a fat burner and hence effective in weight loss too.
- Honey: Honey is a wonderful gift from nature to us. Honey is sweet, heavy, astringent and cold in potency. It contains sugar like fructose, glucose, maltose along with proteins, minerals, fats, enzymes and amino acids. Honey improves digestion, heals wounds, good for vision and heart, improves skin etc. Never heat or cook honey. Honey is incompatible with ghee and sesame oil when used in equal quantities.
- Coriander leaves: also known as dhaniya or dhanyaka is used both as a medicine and food. Coriander leaves are highly effective in treating eye diseases, skin diseases, pimple, acne, eczema, treats mouth ulcers, reduces burning sensation etc. washing eyes with fresh coriander leaves juice, helps to get relief from eye itchiness, redness and eye swelling. The juice when mixed with honey and turmeric can heal pimple and acne too.
- Sandalwood: known as chandana, is a coolant used in Ayurveda for burning sensation and gastritis. The tree is considered sacred and has an excellent fragrance. Sandalwood powder has antibacterial properties which fight against acne, pimple, sunburn, wrinkle, blemishes, dry skin etc. Chandana/sandalwood in India is used for all auspicious occasions as it is considered as holy/pure.
The information & Remedies provided on the website is for informational purpose only and has to be approved by your doctor before proceeding for self-medication. Any remedies and its benefits and uses given are believed to be accurate, however, should not be relied on in any way in making a decision whether to treat any common ailments you or your family members may suffer without consulting a certified Ayurvedic practitioner or Doctor.
Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the article and leave a comment below. Also do share the Articles with your friends and family on your social media networks.