Asthma is an inflammatory disease of the airway and mainly arises from allergies. The flow of air in and out of the lungs is obstructed in the airways that carry air to the air sacs deep inside the lung. Some of the common characteristics or symptoms of asthma are recurrent breathing problems, breathlessness, wheezing, chest tightness, coughing etc. Some common causes of asthma are allergens from nature like house dust, mite and cockroach, grass, pollen, foods, climatic changes, animals like cats, dogs etc. Follow these very simple and effective home remedies to treat asthma and wheezing problems
Ayurveda refers to bronchial asthma as tamaka swasa. This is a common disease nowadays and in vast majority cases, the disease is mild and often unrecognized. Bronchial Asthma can be due to vitiation of vata, pitta or kapha. But most often, the disease is kapha in nature and is characterized by cough and wheezing with abundant clear or white mucus/phlegm. The lungs are often congested producing a whistling sound. Attacks at kapha time – morning and evening.
Vata type asthma is characterized by dry cough and wheezing along with thirst, dry mouth, dry skin, constipation, anxiety and craving for warm drinks. Attacks occur predominantly at vata time—dawn and dusk.
Pitta type asthma is characterized by cough and wheezing with yellow phlegm. Other symptoms are fever, sweating, irritability and need for cool air. Attacks are at pitta time—noon and midnight.
When you feel difficult to breath and expel kapha (mucus/phlegm), follow these effective home remedies to treat asthma and wheezing problems and feel relaxed;
- Mix 3teaspoon castor oil with 1teaspoon honey and 4-6teaspoon ginger juice. Take this once or twice every hour. Repeat this for some days, kapha will come out and the patient will get relief. This medicine is highly effective and can see the difference in some days.
- Boil water and to that add 1tablespoon fenugreek seeds. Filter and keep aside. To one cup of this tea, add a teaspoon of fresh ginger juice and little honey to taste. Consume this.
- Mix together 2teaspoon Aloe Vera juice and 10gram of salt and consume it. Take this every hour. This liquefies and expels kapha/mucus/phlegm accumulated in respiratory tracts and breathing becomes normal.
- Get fresh fruit of peepal tree and dry it under sun along with its seeds. When dried completely, make choorna from this and mix ginger choorna to this (20:1 ratio of peepal tree fruit to ginger choorna). Mix well and keep aside.
Dosage: Take about ½ tsp of this along with 1teaspoon honey daily twice for few days.
- Mix 2tsp Adusoge/vasaka leaves juice with 2tsp castor oil and 1tsp honey. Mix this for 5-10minutes and consume slowly little by little by keeping it in the middle of the tongue. After some time, phlegm comes out fast and gives relief.
- For people who suffer from asthma, Take equal quantity of Adusoge leaves and datura leaves and dry them. Powder it and store. Fill this in a chillum and inhale the smoke. This will not have any side effects and gives good results.
- Pound the datura seeds to powder and mix with ajwain, dhamasa and tobacco. Add these in Adusoge leaves and smoke it/inhale the smoke. This helps in to control breathe and hence phlegm comes out. The seeds used in the medicine should be at least 4-6months old.
- Rub together, 2tsp drumstick tree root bark with 2-3gunji*(grain) lime and ½ tsp mustards and make small tablets. Swallow each tablet and drink warm water. If breathing is still difficult, then prepare the tablets again as said above and swallow. This will help reduce kapha and breathing becomes easy.
- Get madagunike/datura/wood thorn apple leaves and dry them under shade. Pound to choorna and add equal quantity of ajwain and tambaku (tobacco). Mix well and store this choorna (tobacco ajwain/carom seeds choorna). Use when required
When the patient feels difficulty in breathing, immediately get ekka (alarka) leaves or Adusoge and roll it. Add prepared choorna (tobacco-ajwain choorna) and burn slightly. Smoke slowly (like a cigarette). This can be done by Asthma patients during winter at night before going to bed. Within 3-4months, there can be positive improvements.
If ekka (alarka) leaves or Adusoge are not available, use chillum to inhale the smoke.
For few, smoking this can cause side effects like vomiting, giddiness etc. In that case it is advised to stop immediately.
- Mix little cinnamon powder with a tsp of honey and lick or add to warm water and drink. do this for at least 3months.
- Wash 3-4 dry figs in water. Soak them in 1 cup of water overnight. Eat these on an empty stomach and drink the water that the figs were soaked in. Do not eat anything else for an hour at least. Do this for 2 months. Figs are good for draining phlegm.
- Add 1 tsp of honey in very hot water and sip slowly. Take this just before sleeping to remove phlegm from the throat.
- In 1 cup of water soak 1 tsp of Fenugreek seeds overnight. Strain and add 1 tsp of ginger juice and 1 tsp of honey to this. Mix well and consume daily morning and evening.
- Drinking desi (country-made) cow urine for a month in empty stomach is also very good.
Diet and lifestyle Advice:
- Avoid foods that can aggravate asthma like non-vegetarian foods, milk products, curd, banana, sugar, guava, papaya, watermelon, sweets, black gram etc.
- Avoid fried and processed foods.
- Drink enough warm water throughout the day.
- Avoid over eating. Take light dinner one hour before going to bed. You can have broken wheat idli, rava idli, rava upma.
- Avoid smoking and do not over expose to sun.
- During an asthma attack, sit up straight or bend forward. Do not lie down.
- Do not suppress natural urges like urine, cough etc.
- Find out what triggers your asthma and remove that from your home and office. Whenever dusting/cleaning your home/place, wear a dust filter mask
- Practice YOGA and meditation.
With proper medication, good eating habits and proper life style, asthmatics can get better and quick results.
- Datura Seeds: Datura seeds are known as white thorn apple and also referred as kanaka or unmatta. Datura is an extremely toxic plant, but it is purified before using it in Ayurveda medicines for treatments like fever, insanity, painful swelling, neuralgia etc.
Ayurveda uses Datura plants seeds, roots and dried whole plant for medicinal properties. It is classified as an Upa Visha varga/secondary toxic drug with toxic effect on body. As per Ayurveda, in small doses, visha/poison acts as an effective medicine to cure certain diseases. So Datura is used in preparing medicine only after proper purification
- Adusoge: also known as vasaka, arusha, Malabar nut etc. Traditional medicine uses this herb to treat respiratory disorders such as asthma. It is useful in treating bronchitis, tuberculosis and other lung disorders. The herb soothes the throat and helps to expel phlegm deposited in the lungs or airway thereby giving quick remedy to sore throat.
- Dhamasa: also known as dhyanyavas, Cretan prickly clover, kodittuva etc. The herb has miraculous curing properties on health conditions like cancers, hepatitis, heart disorder etc. It purifies blood, normalizes blood pressure, strengthens stomach, cures allergies, improves heart, treats asthma & breathing difficulty etc.
The information & Remedies provided on the website is for informational purpose only and has to be approved by your doctor before proceeding for self-medication. Any remedies and its benefits and uses given are believed to be accurate, however, should not be relied on in any way in making a decision whether to treat any common ailments you or your family members may suffer without consulting a certified Ayurvedic practitioner or Doctor.
Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. You may contact us though Facebook or Twitter Please rate the article and leave a comment below. Also do share the Articles with your friends and family on your social media networks.