Changes in the seasons/weather have a great impact on our body. Each season trigger our balance component and can cause hosts of diseases like cold, cough, fever, diarrhea etc. Following a proper diet and lifestyle will help balance the body which can in turn keep us healthy.
Ayurveda focuses on our body type and recommends maintaining our food, habits/lifestyle and medicine in order to keep ourselves healthy.
Cold and wet weathers are the main cause for vata kapha jwara/Common Flu. The imbalance of vata and kapha in the human body results in vata kapha jwara – Common flu. When there is excess Kapha in the body, you feel cold, runny nose and sneezing. Excess vata reduces Agni (fire) and you get fever.
The symptoms of vata kapha jwara – Common flu are chillness, heaviness of the body, lethargy, a sensation as is enveloped in a moist cloth, joint pain, headache, catarrh, cough, cold, uneasiness, absence of sweat and moderate temperatures. These can be seen mainly in kids.
Few home remedies to cure vata kapha jwara:
- Take equal proportion of adusoge (Malabar nut), tulasi and amritaballi and to this add little ginger and pepper. Prepare kashaya from this and drink it when hot. This gives relief from common flu.
- Add a teaspoon of cumin seeds to 1 glass of boiling water. Simmer for a few minutes, strain, and let it cool. Drink it 10- 12 times a day. If sore throat is also present, add a few small pieces of dry ginger to the boiling water.
- Boil 1 cup of milk adding 1tsp pepper powder and a pinch of turmeric. When warm, drink this once daily for 3 days.
- To 1-2 tsp lukewarm honey, add ¼- ½ tsp cinnamon powder and mix well. Consume for 3 days. This gives relief even in severe colds, cough and common flu.
- To 2 cups of hot water add 2-3 tsp lemon juice and 1 tsp of honey. Mix well and drink at night. This is very effective to treat colds.
- Boil a cup of water. Add 2-3 cloves of crushed garlic and ½ tsp turmeric powder. Drink when warm regularly for few days to get relief from cold.
- Consuming turmeric powder in raw form during night before sleep can reduce cough.
Daily usage of honey and cinnamon powder strengthens the immune system and protects the body from bacterial and viral attacks. Honey has vitamins and iron in large amounts and hence constant usage strengthens the white blood corpuscles and helps to fight bacterial and viral diseases. Honey contains a natural ingredient, which kills germs causing flu.
Recommended food & lifestyle remedies along with few preventive measures:
- Have warm rice gruels and other light foods that are easy to digest.
- Do not eat heavy & spicy foods as agni (fire) element will be weak when you are sick and the food you eat cannot be digested easily.
- Avoid foods like meat, nuts, curd and acidic foods. These foods are too heavy to digest and results in toxin build up in the body.
- Use spices like turmeric, ginger, jeera/cumin, garlic, cinnamon etc. in foods you consume so that it warms up the body and stimulates digestion.
- Use triphala choorna to strengthen the immunity.
- Drink ginger or tulasi tea to drain infections in the throat.
- Drink plenty of luke warm water to prevent dehydration.
- Gargling with salt water helps to loosen the excess mucus and removes bacteria to give relief from sore throat.
- Wear warm clothes and keep yourself cozy.
- When affected with cold & common flu, lie down and cover the body with a blanket and take rest completely.
- Abhyanga-body oil massage is also helpful to make your skin calm and it also improves overall stability. You can use coconut oil/sesame oil or any Ayurveda herbal oil to massage your body.
- Nasya-oiling nasal passage will lubricate the nostrils. Nasya keeps the nasal passage hydrated and prevents cracks.
- Before going to sleep, massage your feet with oil (any herbal oil or sesame oil).
- Sleep for at least 7-8 hours every night. This will strengthen immune system and rejuvenates body. Make a practice to go to sleep by 10 pm.
- Practice YOGA and meditation for a healthy and stress free life.
All the above said remedies are simple measures which you can easily follow. Ayurveda always focuses on body rather than disease. Taking natural herbs and certain preventive measures you can naturally enhance the resistance power of the body and fight against all kinds of bacteria and viruses which can cause you diseases.
Adusoge: also known as vasaka, arusha, Malabar nut etc. Traditional medicine uses this herb to treat respiratory disorders such as asthma. It is useful in treating bronchitis, tuberculosis and other lung disorders. The herb soothes the throat and helps to expel phlegm deposited in the lungs or airway thereby giving quick remedy to sore throat.
Amritaballi: is a climber plant referred in Ayurveda as guduchi or giloy. Other common names are guruchi, gulancha, chittamruthu, shindilakodi, tippa teega etc. It is considered as a divine herb as it possess many medicinal properties like antioxidants, antitumor, anti-microbial, diuretic, antipyretic etc. The herb boosts immunity and fights against many diseases. Amritaballi purifies blood, treats digestive ailments, delays aging, supports nervous functions, good for anemic patients & diabetics, enhances grasping power, memory & recalling abilities and the herb also increases longevity
The information & Remedies provided on the website is for informational purpose only and has to be approved by your doctor before proceeding for self-medication. Any remedies and its benefits and uses given are believed to be accurate, however, should not be relied on in any way in making a decision whether to treat any common ailments you or your family members may suffer without consulting a certified Ayurvedic practitioner or Doctor.
Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the article and leave a comment below. Also do share the Articles with your friends and family on your social media networks.