Eczema is a skin disease with rashes on the skin that are dry with redness, swelling, and itching sensation. There will be severe skin itching and scratching resulting in rashes. As per Ayurveda, aggravated pitta dosha causes Vicharchika. Excess pitta in the body causes accumulation of heating toxins. These toxins or Ama (as referred in Ayurveda) accumulate in the body tissues and contaminate causing eczema or other skin infections.
In Ayurveda, eczema is termed as ‘ Vicharchika’. There are two types of eczema:
- Eczema is felt in the dryness of the skin with lots of pain and severe itching.
- Eczema with Oozing from the affected part along with itching.
Skin infections are generally caused due to poor digestion, faulty or incorrect diet and lifestyle, excess consumption of salt, sweet, oily, heavy and pungent foods. Over use of cosmetics, perfumes, creams etc. may also cause skin problems.
Following a proper diet and lifestyle which pacify Pitta dosha helps in the treatment of eczema. Using herbal medications helps to clean the accumulated toxins in the body and thus purifying blood. This also enhances body’s digestion and keeps us healthy.
Ayurveda /home remedies to cure eczema:
- Make small pieces of areca nuts and take about 1thola of it. Mix them with 2 thola of dried neem Put this in a mud pot and close the lid. Now apply sticky paste of mud on the entire pot and let it dry under sun. Once the pot is dried completely, dig the earth deeply and place cow dung cakes inside the space. Keep the pot and remaining cow dung cakes all around the pot and on the top also. Burn it now. When completely burnt, allow it to cool and remove the lid of the pot. You can see that the small pieces of areca nuts are burnt completely and become like charcoals. Take them out and pound adding 1masha camphor and ghee as required making a fine paste.
Now apply this paste on affected parts of the skin and place a haralu/oudala leaf and tie it. Doing this will cure eczema within 3-4days. After wounds are dried, if there is itching, then daily apply the same paste adding little pepper powder.
- Burn uttarani herb completely and mix the ash in water and keep aside for some time. Filter the above clear water and boil the remaining on a slow flame till the water content evaporates. You’ll get a white colored powder as a residue. This is called as Kshara. The same is available in all Ayurveda stores.
Mix together uttarani kshara about 15gram and ½ ounce water. Store it.
Usage: Wash the affected skin part with soap nut water and then apply the above medicine with a help of cotton. Daily do this for two times. The disease which is there from 1-2 months will definitely cure within 15-20 days.
- Get few Arka roots and dry under shade. Rub it to get a paste and apply on the affected area daily. Skin irritation gradually decreases in few days. If this is a prolonged one, then apply the paste mixed with lemon juice on the affected skin parts. Continue this regularly for few days.
- Boil 3-4cups of water adding few fresh neem leaves on a medium flame for about 10-15minutes. Once warm, wash the affected skin part. Clean the skin with a dry cloth.
- Once the skin is washed and dried as said above, apply little ghee mixed with pinch turmeric. Ghee is an excellent ointment in curing skin allergies.
- Aloe-vera gel can also be applied on the affected skin adding pinch turmeric. Neem oil is also beneficial in curing skin problems.
Recommended diet and lifestyle:
- Avoid fried/oily, spicy foods. Homemade foods give the best nutrition to you. Try having freshly cooked simple foods at home like methi paratha, wheat flour puttu, rice idli, moong dal fry, palak pulav.
- Avoid tea, coffee, hot spices, canned and preserved foods.
- Drinking coconut milk and coriander leaves juice will be helpful.
- Drink lots of water to flush out body toxins.
- Always use creams or oils which have cooling and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Avoid soap and use mild herbal soap for bathing.
- Wear cotton and soft clothes.
- Use a soft, smooth towel and avoid rubbing the skin.
- Over exposure to sun is to be avoided.
- Practice YOGA and meditation for healthy and stress free life.
- Areca nut: also known as beetel nut is an Ayurveda herb used in the treatment of mouth ulcers, bleeding gums, nausea, to whiten teeth, to treat wounds, joint pains, diarrhea etc. Areca nuts increases saliva and keep mouth fresh for longer. They are cooling in nature with astringent and anti-bacterial property. Areca nuts can be used fresh, dried, boiled or roasted. Other names of areca nuts are sopari, sopari, adike, pakku, tamul, vakka, kottai pakku etc.
- Neem: one of the bitter herbs in Ayurveda which are used extensively in medicines. Neem is also known as margosa, the herb cools body because it has sheeta guna/quality. Neem is effective in relieving cough, fever, tiredness, improves digestion, heals wound quickly, relieves from vomiting and nausea, useful in skin diseases and also helpful for diabetics.
- Oudala: also known as haralu, castor, errand, avanakku etc. the plants root, seeds and leaves are extensively used in Ayurveda medicine for both internal and external treatments. The herb balances kapha and vata doshas. Oudala/castor leaves are antimicrobial-useful in worm infestation; it relives bladder pain, urinary retention, dysuria etc.
- Uttarani: known as prickly chaff, apamarga, nayuruvi, kadaladi etc. is one of the strong and powerful Ayurveda herb used in the preparation of different medicines. Uttarani plants, root, seed, leaves and whole plant is used in treating diseases. The plant treats urinary disorders, bloating, gastritis, stomach ache, bleeding disorders, piles, hiccups, cardiac disorders etc. External application of uttarani paste relieves itching, pain and swelling due to bites and wounds. However, pregnant women should be careful while taking this as it is said to induce abortion. Do consult an Ayurveda physician before using the herb.
- Arka: known as neela erukku, ekka, madara, crown flower etc. is an Ayurveda herb which means sun rays. Arka herb is hot and strong similar to sun rays and hence the name. Its bark, leaf, flowers, seeds and the latex is used in the preparation of medicine to cure many diseases. The latex of this herb is used in inducing vomiting and purgation. Barks of the herb used in cough, cold and to cure constipation.
- Turmeric: one of the widely used Ayurveda herb/spice used all over the world. It treats skin, heart, liver, lungs etc. and used for bleeding disorders, skin diseases, epilepsy, to expel kapha and to purify body. Turmeric regulates female reproductive system, purifies uterus and breast milk and also builds & purifies semen in men too.
- Ghee: clarified butter is known as ghee or ghrita in Sanskrit. According to Ayurveda, ghee is beneficial to the whole body and boosts our immune system. Ghee is one of the sacred element which calms pitta and vata. It is sweet in taste and has a cooling effect on our body. Ghee improves digestion, nourishes body, increases intelligence, increases strength and longevity. It can be helpful to gain weight and also improves reproductive system.
- Aloe Vera: known as kumari or ghrita kumara in Ayurveda is widely used herb used in the treatment of skin disorders, constipation, bleeding disorders, wound healing etc. Aloe vera contains transparent gel which in 96% water and the rest 4% contains vitamin A, B, C, E, calcium, and amino acids. It has antibacterial and antifungal properties which soothes many skin ailments and increases blood flow to the wounded area and helps in healing.
- 1 thola=11.616 grams approximately 12grams; traditional Indian unit of measuring.
- 1 Masha=97 grams; traditional Indian unit of measuring.
The information & Remedies provided on the website is for informational purpose only and has to be approved by your doctor before proceeding for self-medication. Any remedies and its benefits and uses given are believed to be accurate, however, should not be relied on in any way in making a decision whether to treat any common ailments you or your family members may suffer without consulting a certified Ayurvedic practitioner or Doctor.
Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the article and leave a comment below. Also do share the Articles with your friends and family on your social media networks.