Anything which keeps our mind and body pure and calm is considered as Bliss. The supreme power God has created many such things around us. One such precious thing among those is Herbs-the green leafy plants which poses many medicinal properties.
Of all herbs used in Ayurveda for its medicinal value, Tulasi is the most powerful and prominent one which along with healing diseases, can keep our mind fresh, calm and pure. Tulasi is considered as “queen of herbs” or “mother medicine” for its both medicinal and spiritual properties. Tulasi is a tonic for our body, mind and spirit which is a perfect solution for our many health related problems.
Tulasi has its own place in dharma shastra and arogya shastra. The herb is planted in front of almost every Hindu house in India and worshiped every day. According to Hindu culture, worshiping this plant can protect our homes from negative energy and also keeps it pure. The herb contains Volatile oil which mixes in air and spreads around, thus making air pure. Sitting next to the tulasi plant early morning and in the evening gives you a fresh feel. Not only this gives good air, but also reduces mosquitoes. So do grow this herb at home for your own good.
Tulasi, according to Hindu mythology means “matchless” and is regarded as the holiest plant. Every part of the plant is considered sacred. Tulasi is described in our Ayurveda writings about 4000years back. The description of the herb tulasi can be found in Ayurveda moola grantha “veda” especially in “Atharvana veda”.
In Atharvana Veda, it is classified into two types namely Shwetha tulasi and Krishna tulasi. Shwetha tulasi is also known as Shri tulasi or Rama tulasi and it has green leaves. Other with darker green or purple leaves and stem is called as Krishna tulasi or Shyama tulasi. Both types of tulasi are widely available all over India.
Queen of herbs tulasi, has strong medicinal properties and is used to cure many ailments such as fever, common cold, cough, sore throat, malaria, heart diseases etc. It strengthens immune system, improves memory power & eye health, reduces blood sugar & cholesterol, helps in premature ejaculation etc.
Tulasi is vata hara, kapha hara and pitta vardhini which means the herb pacifies (balances) vata and kapha dosha and aggravates (increases) pitta dosha. It has a pungent (katu) & bitter (tikta) taste with hot potency (veerya) and light (laghu), dry (rooksha) & sharp (teekshna) properties.
Tulasi is used as a mosquito repellent. The herb has an excellent odor in it. Growing these herb in front of the house, works as a repellent to mosquitos and hence they do not enter inside. Also, pluck few plants along with its roots and keep it inside the house or in bedrooms. Mosquitos will not enter those rooms and can have a peaceful sleep.
Tulasi is rich in anti-oxidants, which help to reduce stress. The herb can be useful in diabetes, high blood pressure, skin disorders, bacterial infections etc. As it is a kapha reducing herb it supports respiratory health also. Tulasi has detoxifying, cleansing and purifying properties too.
Few effective home remedies using the aromatic “Queen of herb-Tulasi”:
Influenza: Commonly referred as Flu.
- Get few Krishna tulasi leaves and dry them under shade. It is good if you get fresh leaves too. If you have dried leaves take 2thola*, if fresh leaves 1 ½ thola* and mix with 8-10gunji* ginger powder. Add this to water and bring to boil till it reduces to 8ounce*. Remove from fire and add oma (Ajwain) powder about ½teaspoon and mix. Filter and add 1teaspoon rock candy. Dissolve rock candy completely and drink when warm. Sleep for some time covering with a blanket. You’ll sweat and temperature comes down. Also headache, body ache also will be reduced. Take this daily twice.
For headache & Sinusitis:
- If there is intense headache, pound/rub fresh tulasi leaves with dry ginger to get paste. Apply this paste of the forehead. Give a hot steam. Headache will reduce in some time and you’ll get a sound sleep. It is good if you do this at night.
- Get few fresh tulasi leaves and crush them to extract juice. Gently put one or two drops of this juice into each nostril. Do this early morning on an empty stomach to relieve sinusitis related headache.
- Grind 9-10 tulasi leaves with 2-3 cloves and make small tablets. Chew it and swallow the juice slowly. Throat infections with itching will reduce.
In Phuppusa (Lung), phlegm increases. Then, mix well 1teaspoon tulasi juice, 4-5 drops of fresh ginger juice, 2 teaspoon honey and take it internally daily thrice.
- For children/small kids, if they suffer from cough and cold, then mix together 4-5 tulasi leaves with 1 clove, 1pepper corn, 3-5 grain* turmeric, 1 grain* lime and pound. Warm it slightly and mix it with honey. Give it to them to eat daily twice. Cough and cold will reduce.
- Get few tulasi leaves, rock salt and rub these with lemon juice and urine of cow to get a fine paste. Apply this paste on the affected skin part daily twice. Continue doing this for 2-3 months continuously to get good results.
Shrama Nivaraka: It is very common to drink tea/coffee when we feel tired. This has got many side effects on our health. Instead of this, try tulasi kashaya as mentioned below:
- Dry few fresh tulasi leaves under shade and store it in a box. To a cup of water, add little dried tulasi leaves and boil for few minutes by closing the lid on a medium-low flame. Switch off the flame and allow it to sit for 5 minutes. Filter the prepared tea and add milk and powdered sugar candy (or sugar) as needed. Boil again. Drink this healthy tulasi kashaya/tea whenever you feel tired instead of tea/coffee.
In summer, cool this kashaya and add 3 teaspoon honey instead of sugar candy (or sugar) and drink. Tiredness will vanish and you feel energetic.
For constipation in children:
- Boil two cups of water adding 1 tsp tulasi leaves juice and 8-10 drakshi/raisins. Let it boil on a medium flame for 3-4 minutes. Give this to children when they are suffering from constipation. It helps to reduce the gas formation and stomach ache caused due to constipation. Children will pass feces 2-3 times after consuming this water.
For pain in gums:
- Make small tablets using 4-6 tulasi leaves with 1-2 grain* camphor and apply on gums and hold it for some time. Pain will reduce.
For Impotency: This is very common nowadays in youngsters as well and the reason is the lifestyles, unhealthy eating, alcohol, excess smoking etc. For this problem, tulasi seeds are the best medicine. The medicine prepared from tulasi seeds is given below and it is very simple to prepare and consume as well.
- Take equal quantity of tulasi seeds, Kama kasturi seeds and rock candy. Pound/grind it together to get fine choorna/powder. To this, add little cardamom/elaichi powder and kesar. Mix well and store in a clean and dry glass jar.
Dosage: 1 teaspoon of this choorna/powder in 1 glass of buffalo milk twice a day for at least one month.
For Heart blockage/cholesterol/diabetes:
- Grind 5-10 leaves of each tulasi, mint leaves, coriander leaves and grind to paste. Add this to a glass of Bottle gourd juice (take out juice without peeling the outer skin). Drink this morning or afternoon after lunch. Do not have this at night.
The information & Remedies provided on the website is for informational purpose only and has to be approved by your doctor before proceeding for self-medication. Any remedies and its benefits and uses given are believed to be accurate, however, should not be relied on in any way in making a decision whether to treat any common ailments you or your family members may suffer without consulting a certified Ayurvedic practitioner or Doctor.
Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. Please rate the article and leave a comment below. Also do share the Articles with your friends and family on your social media networks.